Sunday, June 13, 2010

Newtown Research and Idea Development

This shows the main points of my research about Newtown





Using my research into Newtown, I mind mapped its main characteristics. From that I concluded that these characteristics paralleled with contemporary art. Hence I decided to make my gallery a contemporary art gallery. Then I chose three contemporary artists which I thought would suit Newtown.



Further, I started to look at what sort of features would my gallery have. My main aim is to present the art gallery as a work of art itself and its form should reflect what sort of art it displays.

Moreover I started to think about the relationship between the different spaces and how the circulation through the gallery would occur.



I envisaged the design of the gallery to be a contemporary form appropriate for displaying contemporary art. Hence I researched contemporary architecture and made a list of particular features of contemporary galleries. This was also used to establish possible precedents I might want to research more thoroughly. As a result of my research I came across Deconstructivism architecture which I found very interesting. Hence I decided to do more research on Deconstructivism. Using this I developed a list of precedents which included Frank Gehry (Guggenheim Museum), Daniel Libeskind (Imperial War Museum, Jewish Museum), Rem Koolhaus (Seattle Central Library) and Coop Himmelblau (UFA Cinema Center). Hence I did more detailed research on the ideas behind their design and analysed their buildings. I made quick sketches of some of the buildings because I believe that is a great way to understand an architect's design thoroughly. Further, I also looked at Frank Lloyd Wright's Guggenheim Museum because I was interested in the way he organised the circulation of the gallery.















Narrative and Idea




Plan Development



Form Development





No comments:

Post a Comment